Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How I Met My Husband
By: Alice Munro


This story is told in first person by Edie, a young girl that dropped out of high school and now works as a farmer.  Edie becomes a maid for Dr. Peebles, a veterinarian.  One day, Edie is at the old fairgrounds near Dr. Peebles' house.  Here, she meets a pilot named Chris Watters.  Chris is engaged to Alice (or at least Alice claims this).  Edie and Chris kiss, and the young girl is convinced that she is in love with Mr. Watters.  There is situational irony in Edie's story.  I thought that Chris was going to marry Edie.  However, Chris is not a man that can settle and commit to one certain person (or even one place).  He promised Edie that he would write her a letter, and she waits at the mailbox everyday with hopes of him fulfilling this promise.  Edie meets the young mail carrier, and he is the man whom she ends up marrying!  This seemed so random to me; I did not expect this ending at all.  However, her husband definitely was a better choice than the sketchy Chris Watters.  Edie explains that her husband thinks that she had a crush on him and that he is why she was always waiting by the mailbox.  This wasn't the case though, and I was surprised that she never told him the truth.  "He always tells the children the story of how I went after him by sitting by the mailbox every day, and naturally I laugh and let him, because I like for people to think what pleases them and makes them happy" (146).  I'm glad that Edie ended up finding a quality husband and enjoyable life with him, but it left me with one last question.  Did Edie ever tell her husband about her infatuation and past with Chris Watters?

No comments:

Post a Comment