Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Kite Runner (Blog 4)
By: Khaled Hosseini


I was so sad when Baba died.  I know that it was inevitable since his cancer couldn't be cured, but I still thought it was very depressing.  Baba and Amir didn't always have a great relationship.  Growing up, Amir felt that he could never please his father.  Even after he won the kite tournament, their relationship wasn't strong for long.  I think that one thing that brought them closer together was escaping to America.  Their journey was long and difficult.  Besides each other, they didn't have anyone anymore.  Because of this, I think that they grew closer on their journey.  At Baba's funeral, many people talked to Amir and expressed their strong admiration for Baba.  He was a great person and helped many people throughout his life.  "Listening to them, I realized how much of who I was, what I was, had been defined by Baba and the marks he had left on people's lives.  My whole life, I had been 'Baba's son.'  Now he was gone.  Baba couldn't show me the way anymore; I'd have to find it on my own" (Hosseini, 174).  I liked this quote because it shows that Amir realized his father was an amazing individual.  He realized that his father was selfless and constantly made a difference in other people's lives.  Luckily, Amir had paid attention to all that his father did throughout his lifetime.  I think he will be able to live a life similar to his father, but I think he is going to tell Soraya about what happened with Hassan first.  I think that if he finally admits it to someone, he will be able to move forward with his life and model it after Baba's.

No comments:

Post a Comment