Friday, July 6, 2012

The House of Mirth (Blog 3)

By: Edith Wharton


Between chapters 3-5, I began to really like Percy Gryce and the minor role he has taken so far in the novel.  Although Mr. Gryce is extremely well off, I like that he is not as showy and materialistic as the other people in the group he is often at parties with.  Mr. Gryce is definitely an introvert and likes to keep to himself most of the time.  On the other hand, I see Lily as an extrovert because she seems more friendly and sociable.  I think that this balance of personalities would be good for both Lily and Mr. Gryce.  In addition, Mr. Gryce does not seem to take a liking to people that are overly materialistic.  Personally, I have found Lily to be very caught up in her appearances, but Mr. Gryce apparently does not feel that way about her.  "But he thought it a very materialistic society; there were times when he was frightened by the talk of the men and the looks of the ladies, and he was glad to find out that Miss Bart, for all her ease and self-possession, was not at home in so ambiguous an atmosphere" (Wharton, 41).  He seems to view Lily as a woman that does not feel the need to show off her money as much as their friends.  I believe that Mr. Gryce is unaware of Lily's financial situation, and I think that Lily would waste a lot of money if she were able to.  Since Mr. Gryce does not waste his money on many unnecessary luxuries, I think that he could really help Lily see that riches aren't all there is to be concerned with in life.  I'm sure that Lily sees Mr. Gryce's substantial amount of money as a plus, but I hope that she finds many positive personality traits in him as they get to know each other.  If Lily does ever express a desire to marry him, I really hope that it is not merely for his money.  I think that Mr. Gryce seems like he has a kind heart, and I think that would benefit Lily as long as she continues to associate with the wealthy crowd of people at extravagant parties like the Trenor's.

No comments:

Post a Comment