Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The House of Mirth (Blog 6)

By: Edith Wharton



Like many characters in The House of Mirth, I feel
that Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries did
not truly understand the commitment of marriage.
 As I've continued reading the past couple of days, I have frequently taken note of how casually this society treats marriage and love.  It shocks me how freely the characters express being "in love" with the other characters.  Also, I feel like most of these characters do not understand the true meaning of marriage.  For example, when Lily first decides that she is interested in Percy Gryce, she starts thinking far into her future.  "She knew that this generosity to self is one of the forms of meanness, and she resolved so to identify herself with her husband's vanity that to gratify her wishes be to him the most exquisite form of self-indulgence" (Wharton, 39).  Her husband?!  At this point, Lily hardly even knows Mr. Gryce, and I find it completely ridiculous that she already thinks of him as her husband.  Another example of this was found when Mr. Percy Gryce and Evie Van Osburgh announced their engagement.  The reason that I found this to be taking advantage of marriage is that the two had only been dating for 6 weeks!  I'm sure that some marriages that are rushed into can actually work, but in my eyes, it does not seem realistic that Mr. Gryce and Evie are already getting married.  These two examples are among many others that prove this society as a whole does not truly understand the purpose of love and marriage.  A modern-day example that these can relate to is the marriage of Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries.  (I must admit that I am a huge fan of the Kardashians!)  However, in all honesty, this marriage was disappointing.  It only lasted 72 days!  I find it to be extremely sad that even our society takes advantage of marriage today.  I guess some people just do not recognize the commitment of marriage, and this is demonstrated in both reality and fictional novels.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, I love your comparison to Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries! It made me laugh! I noticed the same thing about the characters' disrespect for marriage. It really bothers me how none of them take it seriously and see no reason to be devoted and respectful towards their spouses. Good comparison!

    ReplyDelete