Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Raisin in the Sun (Blog 1)
By: Lorraine Hansberry


Throughout the entirety of this play, I noticed a significant change in Walter Lee Younger, the protagonist.  This change actually surprised me because it did not happen until suddenly at the end.  Every time that Hansberry hinted at a change in Walter's character, he did something to set me back to my initial opinion about him.  When I first began reading this play, I saw Walter as a disrespectful and rude man.  He was outright rude to Ruth, his wife.  At the beginning of Act II, Scene 1, Walter returns home one evening very drunk.  He and Ruth are fighting, which seems to be happening a lot lately in their marriage.  Ruth offers her husband hot milk or coffee to drink, and Walter explodes.  Events like this caused me to lose more and more respect for Walter.  However, I gained back respect for Walter in Act II, Scene 2.  Walter exhibits a sense of confidence and happiness when Mama gives him $6500 ($3000 for Beneatha's education and $3500 to invest in his liquor store).  After becoming extremely excited, Walter talks to his 10-year-old son Travis.  He motivates his son about his future.  "'Just tell me where you want to go to school and you'll go.  Just tell me, what it is you want to be-and you'll be it....Whatever you want to be-Yessir!  You just name it son...and I hand you the world'" (502).  I thought this scene was going to be Walter's turning point.  However, I was disappointed in Act II, Scene 3 when he kept all of the money to himself.  I thought this was especially selfish of him.  In the end, though, Walter proves himself to be a respectable man.  When Mr. Lindner is invited over again, Walter stands up to him.  He defends his family and says they will be moving into their house in Clybourne Park.  I was happy when Walter did this; it signified a new man in Walter Younger.  In addition, I think it symbolized the new and happier life the Younger's were going to now experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment