Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Worn Path
By: Eudora Welty


While reading this short story, I was kind of unsure as to what the point of the story was.  Phoenix Jackson, the main character, is a very elderly African American woman.  Her journey led her through many struggles on a path through the forest.  This consisted of many challenges such as walking through a creek, climbing uphill, and walking through a cornfield with no visible path.  After finishing this story and considering its symbolism, I think that Phoenix's journey is symbolic of the memory of slavery for African Americans.  I came to this conclusion when Phoenix said "'seem like there is chains about my feet, time I get this far'" (224).  The chains hint at the fact that this journey symbolizes slavery.  I am not sure when this story was supposed to take place, so it may be symbolic to Phoenix personally.  Otherwise, it could simply symbolize the painful memory of slavery for African Americans as a whole.  Phoenix's journey was tiring, difficult, and fearful.  This is probably how slaves felt everyday.  I also think that the journey could symbolize the difficulty of escaping slavery.  When Phoenix encountered the white man, she seemed very nervous.  However, she did not even flinch at the sight of his gun.  I am positive that slaves on a journey to freedom would have experienced a great amount of fear when they encountered a white person.  Because of this, I think that this short story could also represent the struggles of escaping such a terrible life.

No comments:

Post a Comment