Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I felt a Funeral, in my Brain
By: Emily Dickinson


This poem features a depressing mood.  The whole poem uses an extended metaphor to compare a funeral to the narrator losing her mind.  She is near a mental breakdown, and she views her mind as a funeral.  Like a funeral, the speaker is depressed and isn't experiencing happiness.  She mentions "Mourners to and fro" (776) in the symbolic funeral.  The current situations and hardships the the speaker is experiencing are like mourners lingering in a funeral.  They come and go, but some of them are always present.  She is feeling her mind go numb, as she states in line 8.  I think that the speaker is also comparing her soul to an old wooden floor.  I came to this conclusion in lines 9-10 of the poem.  She mentions "and then I heard them lift a Box and creak across my Soul" (776).  The creaking made me think of the creaking of a wooden floor plank.  I think she is saying that the problems that have put her in this state of mental instability is like a wooden floor.  She doesn't know how much more her conflicting mind can handle, just as a creaking floorboard can't support the weight of people and objects forever.  Ultimately, the speaker is in a terrible mental state.  She is going numb due to this state and the lack of resolution to her problems.  She describes her solitude.  She must feel alone and without anyone to turn to for help.  This extended metaphor between the funeral and speaker's mind establish the depressing mood of this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment