Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Much Madness is divinest Sense
By: Emily Dickinson


I had to read this poem a couple of times to figure out what the speaker was trying to convey.  The conclusion that I arrived to was that what most would consider madness is actually sanity.  The poem has a very unique message that I personally disagree with.  It says that one whom agrees with the majority proves his sanity.  However, going against the majority classifies one as crazy, even dangerous.  "Assent-and you are sane- Demur-you're straightway dangerous-" (830).  I do not agree with this message at all.  If one agrees with the majority, that's great.  However, going against the majority proves bravery and courage.  It is hard to stand alone on an idea or issue, so I think it is remarkable for one to do this.  It does not make one a threat or insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment