Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Othello (Blog 8)
By: William Shakespeare


Well, this play definitely fits in the category of a tragedy!  Knowing how Shakespeare's tragedies always end, I knew that at least one of the characters was going to die.  In Act V, Scene 2, Othello kills Desdemona in the bed.  She begs him not to, and she even tells him that she and Cassio never slept together.  Despite his wife's desperate pleas, Othello stabs Desdemona.  Before she dies, Desdemona tells Emilia that she killed herself.  "Nobody, I myself.  Farewell.  Commend me to my kind lord.  Oh farewell!" (V.ii.122-123).  I think that this proves that Desdemona truly loved Othello, and she didn't want anyone to know that he killed her over a rumor that wasn't even true.  When Emilia shows up after Othello stabbed his wife, she tells Othello that Cassio is alive and he killed Roderigo.  In addition, Iago kills Emilia when the truth comes out to reveal that he is a villain.  As Emilia is dying, she tells Othello that Desdemona had remained faithful to him.  "Moor, she was chaste.  She loved thee, cruel Moor..." (V.ii.248-249).  After realizing that he murdered his wife for no reason at all, Othello stabs himself so that he falls back and dies on the bed next to Desdemona's body.  "I kissed thee ere I killed thee.  No way but this, killing myself, to die upon a kiss" (V.ii.356-357).  All of these deaths make the end of the play very depressing, making it fit the category of a tragedy perfectly.  It's a shame that all of these characters died due to the lies and deceit of Iago, whom ended up living in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment