Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Othello (Blog 2)
By: William Shakespeare


Just after reading Act I, I was already able to tell that Iago is a very fake person.  He is extremely two-faced.  He speaks to people very differently.  Sometimes he uses prose, and other times he uses poetry (iambic pentameter).  For example, shortly after Act I opens, Iago speaking with Brabantio.  Iago is speaking in iambic pentameter here.
"It seems not meet, nor wholesome to my place,
To be produced-as if I stay I shall-
Against the Moor..." (I.i.144-146).
This quote shows how Iago spoke to Brabantio in iambic pentameter.  However, we see that he talks in prose with people like Roderigo.  For example, when Iago is talking Roderigo out of committing suicide, he is speaking in prose (I.iii.326-347).  This quote isn't an example of him being two-faced, but it definitely proves that he talks differently to various people.  It seems like he uses prose to talk to people that he is comfortable with and knows well.  On the other hand, when he needs to seem respectful or professional to someone, he uses poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment