Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Great Gatsby (Blog 11)

By: F. Scott Fitzgerald


In chapter 6, Nick goes to Gatsby's house one evening after not seeing him for weeks.  When he gets there, he sees Tom Buchanan and Mr. and Mrs. Sloane.  Gatsby tells Tom that he knows his wife, which creates an awkward situation.  Tom seems concerned after learning about this.  "'I wonder where in the devil he met Daisy.  By God, I may be old-fashioned in my ideas, but women run around too much these days to suit me.  They meet all kinds of crazy fish'" (Fitzgerald, 103).  The following Saturday, Gatsby holds a party at his house.  Unfortunately, Daisy brings Tom with her.  Tom apparently did not trust Daisy to come to the party on her own.  "Perhaps his presence gave the evening its peculiar quality of oppressiveness-it stands out in my memory from Gatsby's other parties that summer" (Fitzgerald, 104).  Tom's presence at the party made it seem different from Gatsby's other parties, according to Nick.  Nick had a premonition that something bad could happen because of this.  I feel like Daisy acted a little bit different around Gatsby at this party.  She just seems like she is afraid of Tom (and I can't blame her).  However, she does get a short amount of time with just Gatsby.  "Then they sauntered over to my house and sat on the steps for half an hour, while at her request I remained watchfully in the garden" (Fitzgerald, 105).  Daisy wanted to spend time with Gatsby alone; however, she feared her husband's reaction.  She had Nick keep an eye out to make sure Tom didn't see them.  Nick realizes that Daisy has not enjoyed herself at all at this party, besides the 30 minutes she had with Gatsby.  Later on in the evening, Nick chats with Gatsby after the Buchanan couple has left.  Gatsby is very upset to notice that Daisy didn't seem to enjoy herself.  "He wanted nothing less of Daisy than that she should go to Tom and say 'I never loved you'" (Fitzgerald, 109).  I hope that Daisy does build up the courage to end her marriage with Tom; however, she is so afraid of him that it is hard to predict whether or not she will.  Also, Tom just annoys me and I cannot stand him at all.  Daisy was right...she was crazy to marry Tom Buchanan.

No comments:

Post a Comment