Monday, August 6, 2012

The Great Gatsby (Blog 5)

By: F. Scott Fitzgerald


As random as this is, I pictured this library from Disney's
Beauty and the Beast when Nick described
Gatsby's library in this chapter.
Well, it's about time that we are introduced to Mr. Jay Gatsby!  Besides characters mentioning him briefly prior to chapter 3, it was difficult to know much of anything about Gatsby.  However, now that I have learned more about him and actually know his character, I really like Gatsby!  He seems to have more money than he knows what to do with, and he throws some very extravagant parties.  Aside from this, he seems like a genuinely nice person.  For example, at Gatsby's last party, a young girl named Lucille had a small incident that involved the dress she wore.  "'When I was here last I tore my gown on a chair, and he asked me my name and address-inside a week I got a package from Croirier's with a new evening gown in it'" (Fitzgerald, 43).  I thought that this was so sweet of Gatsby because at least he is willing to use some of his money for others.  I also liked that Gatsby was so interested in getting to know Nick.  I really like Nick Carraway, and he seems like he could get along with Gatsby well.  One thing that I thought was strange, though, was that most of Gatsby's guests either don't know him or just don't see him the whole time they are at his house.  I think that Gatsby at least makes an effort to try to associate with the people, but he kind of comes off as a shy and standoff-ish man.  For example, when the band was playing Jazz History of the World, he was just standing on his porch watching everyone.  "The nature of Mr. Tostoff's composition eluded me, because just as it began my eyes fell on Gatsby, standing alone on the marble steps and looking from one group to another with approving eyes" (Fitzgerald, 50).  I think that maybe Gatsby just stood back to make sure that his guests were all enjoying themselves, but I am not really positive.  Overall, I appreciate Gatsby's character as he comes off as a kind and genuine man.  Hopefully he continues to act this way throughout the rest of the novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment