Monday, August 6, 2012

The Great Gatsby (Blog 3)

By: F. Scott Fitzgerald


Tom Buchanan just gave me better reasoning to hate him!  When I read chapter 1, I sensed that Daisy Buchanan feared her husband, and I can't blame her!  In chapter 2, Tom takes Nick into town, where he introduces him to his lover Myrtle Wilson.  I haven't decided how I feel about Myrtle yet; however, I feel awful for her after what Tom did to her at the end of chapter 2.  Tom, Nick, Myrtle, Catherine (Myrtle's sister), and the McKee's are having a "party" and drinking heavily in the apartment.  Based on how much they were drinking, I knew something bad was going to happen, and my assumption was correct.  Tom and Myrtle were arguing about whether or not Myrtle should be allowed to mention Daisy's name.  "'Daisy!  Daisy!  Daisy!' shouted Mrs. Wilson.  'I'll say it whenever I want to!  Daisy!  Dai-' Making a short deft movement, Tom Buchanan broke her nose with his open hand" (Fitzgerald, 37).  Tom Buchanan is CRAZY!!!  I cannot believe that he would even think to hit a woman, and I do not think that saying he was extremely drunk justifies his action.  I hope that after this Myrtle realizes that Tom isn't as good to her as she initially thought.  She explained to Nick and Catherine that she was crazy when she decided to marry her husband, but I think it would be even crazier for her to stay with Tom after he broke her nose.  I am guessing that Tom is going to continue to give me reasons to dislike him.  Also, I am thinking that this event was not Tom's first time hurting a woman.  To put it simply, Tom Buchanan is a jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment