Thursday, November 29, 2012

Frankenstein (Blog 10)
By: Mary Shelley


Upon finishing this novel, I realized that I actually really enjoyed the story.  I had never known the original Frankenstein story.  I was especially surprised to learn that the monster was not Frankenstein; it was the creator of the monster.  I was thoroughly intrigued by this book.  The suspense continued to build up throughout the whole story.  For example, I was really curious to continue reading at the beginning of the novel when William was murdered.  I wanted to find out if the monster really killed him, which motivated me to continue reading.  I am also surprised that I liked this novel after reading the ending.  I usually prefer stories that have happy endings, and this was definitely not the case of Frankenstein.  The ending of the story was sad, in my opinion.  "They retired, and I turned towards my friend, but he was sunk in languor, and almost deprived of life" (Shelley, 160).  I thought it was so sad when Victor Frankenstein died.  I was hoping that he would just let the creature go, and I wanted him to join Walton on his adventure after he recovered.  I thought that maybe Walton's task would be successful, and this could bring happiness to Victor's miserable life.  However, this obviously did not happen.  Overall, though, I think that Mary Shelley wrote an exceptionally interesting novel; I ended up enjoying the book very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment