Thursday, November 15, 2012

Frankenstein (Blog 2)
By: Mary Shelley


After the creation process, I found situational irony.  Monsters are meant to scare people, but I did not think that the monster would scare Victor.  Victor was the monster's creator, so I figured that he would admire his work when it proved to be successful.  He actually did the opposite of this, though.  When the monster opened its eyes, Victor was immediately terrified and regretted his idea altogether.  "I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded moderation; but now that I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart" (Shelley, 35).  After seeing his creation come to life, Victor saw how ugly the creature was.  He was absolutely terrified of the monster.  He explained that his initial dream was beautiful, but its result was ugly and scary.  Victor ran away from his creation right after he brought it to life.  He eventually even got himself sick over the matter.  Overall, I found it ironic that Victor ardently worked on this project for 2 long years.  However, it took hardly any time at all for him to regret his idea and wish he had never pursued his dream.  Once the monster came to life, Victor did not even admire his work; he was too afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment