Thursday, November 15, 2012

Frankenstein (Blog 5)
By: Mary Shelley


Besides his looks, this monster does not seem like a monster at all.  I actually feel really bad for him.  Confused by his creation, the monster has no idea how the world works.  He ends up beginning to steal food from humans (he doesn't understand the wrong of his actions).  On one occasion, the monster found a hut and decided to enter it.  The man living in the hut ran away from him in fear, as do all the other humans he has encountered.  The monster decides to avoid interacting with humans at all because of the reactions they have to him.  However, he is still intrigued by humans and how they live.  Because of this, he begins to quietly  observe a family living in a cottage.  I felt bad for the monster when he described the first time he saw his reflection.  "At first I started back, unable to believe that it was indeed I who was reflected in the mirror; and when I became fully convinced that I was in reality the monster that I am, I was filled with the bitterest sensations of despondence and mortification" (Shelley, 80).  The monster realized why humans reacted the way they did to his presence.  He is still extremely curious about humans, though.  He even ends up teaching himself how to speak and use the basics of the language.  The monster exhibits strong admiration for the family he watches (Felix and Agatha).  With this, he learns to be more gentle in his ways and hopes to eventually bring about better reactions from humans in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment